Type-3 driver also known as All Java Net Protocol Driver OR Network Protocol Driver OR Middleware Driver.
Type-3 Driver converts JDBC Calls into Middleware Server specific Calls. Middleware Server can convert Middleware Server specific Calls into Database specific Calls. Internally Middleware Server may use Type-1, 2 OR 4 Drivers to communicates with Database.
- This Driver won’t communicate with Database directly and hence it is Database Independent Driver.
- This Driver is Platform Independent Driver.
- No need of ODBC Driver OR Vendor specific Native Libraries
- Because of having Middleware Server in the Middle, there may be a chance of Performance Problems.
- We need to purchase Middleware Server and hence the cost of this Driver is more when compared with remaining Drivers.
Example: IDS Driver (Internet Database Access Server)
The only Driver which is both Platform Independent and Database Independent is Type-3 Driver. Hence it is recommended to use.