Introduction to Java
- Java language developed by company “SUN micro systems” and created by “James Gosling“.
- Sun micro systems started by group of students who are studying in stanfard university.
- These people are faced the problem in their room with electronic consumers i.e., one electronic consumable remote control is not worked on another electronic consumable. These people wanted to develop a common remote control (CRC) which is controlling all the electronic consumables. So they contacted James Gosling and requested for the project.
- Sun micro systems started by group of students, out of them one person from India whose name is “Vinod Khosla”.
- James Gosling and his team members given the project name as “GREEN” started in the year 1990 and 1991. CRC completed in 1992 and named as star7.
- James Gosling team developed a new language called as “OAK”. But this name is already selected by some another company. So it is renamed as “Java”.
- Following conversation is the process why named it as Java
From: James Gosling
Date: December 12, 2012 8:16:58 AM
To: Ashok Kumar
Subject: How was Java named?
Hi Ashok Kumar, The story goes like this
We needed a name and had been using “oak” (which as selected essentially randomly by me), and while the team had grown attached to it, the trademark lawyers ruled it out. We had lots of email debates about names, but nothing got resolved and ended up in the awkward position where the one thing stopping us from shipping was the name.
Our marketing lead knew someone who was a “naming consultant” (I don’t remember his name, but he was great). We could neither afford the price nor the time of a conventional product naming process. He agreed to do something rather odd, but effective and quick: he acted as a facilitator at a meeting where about a dozen of us locked ourselves in a room for an afternoon.
He started asking us questions like “How does this thing make you feel?” (Excited!) “What else makes you feel that way?” (Java!) We ended up with a board covered with essentially random words.
Then he put us through a sorting process where we ended up with a ranking of the names. We ended up with a dozen name candidates and sent them off to the lawyers: they worked down the list until they hit one that cleared their search. “Java” was the fourth name on the list.
The first name on the list was “Silk”, which I hated but everyone else liked. My favorite was “Lyric”, the third one on the list, but it didn’t pass the lawyers test. I don’t remember what the other candidate names where.
So, who named Java? Marketing organized the meeting, the consultant ran it, and a whole pile of us did a lot of yelling out of random words. I’m honestly not real sure who said “Java” first, but I’m pretty sure it was Mark Opperman.
There certainly wasn’t any brilliant marketing mind who went through a coherent thought process.
- The unofficial abbreviation is “Just Another Virtual Analyse”.
- Different types of Java versions
Version Name Code Name Release Date ------------ --------- ------------- JDK 1.0 OAK January 1996 JDK 1.1 --- February 1997 J2SE 1.2 Play Ground December 1998 J2SE 1.3 Kestrol May 2000 J2SE 1.4 Merlin February 2002 J2SE 5.0 Tiger Sepetember 2004 Java SE 6 Mustang December 2006 Java SE 7 Dolphin July 2011 Java SE 8 ------ March 2014 Java SE 9 ------ July 2017 Java SE 10 ------ March 2018 Java SE 11 ------ September 2018 Java SE 12 ------ March 2019 Java SE 13 ------ September 2019